Where are "the four corners of the earth"?

God's Creation according to the Bible

Moderators: Paul Zietsman, DaveyT

Paul Zietsman

Where are "the four corners of the earth"?

Post by Paul Zietsman »

The Bible speaks about "the four corners of the earth" in both old and new testaments.

Isa 11:12  And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
Rev 7:1  And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

A sceptic may still get away with the Scripture in Isiah, saying that it refers to the four general wind directions, or something in that vein. The Scripture in Revelation is however explicit, the four corners are four places where the angels are standing. This depicts literal locations, not just general directions. One might stand "towards" a direction (from a specific observation point), but one cannot stand "on" a direction, you can only stand "on" a place or location. These four locations are called "the four corners of the earth".

What exactly do these Scriptures refer to?
Obviously most people dismiss such Biblical statements as ignorance of ancient writers etc, but many of those who do believe the Scriptures have attempted to figure out what this means.
I have found a lot of speculation and some proposed models of what people believe to be plausible concepts. One such is a four cornered cosmology, with a dome on top of the square, and other models developed upon that:

I have however not found solid Scriptural basis for the above models, it is almost as if people are trying to force all the different points they find in Scripture into a single model. I think that we need to look broader than just those two Scriptures before we build models. In fact, there are many other intriguing things that Scripture also mentions that may be connected to this. In a recent e-mail group discussion I was part of, the following subjects were discussed:

• The four corners of the earth – What, or where are these?
• The circle of the earth.
• The flood – where did all the water come from?
• Science's concept of continental drift and “Pangea”, as opposed to the Biblical “Peleg, and the dividing of the earth” after Babel.

Now, these all seem loose, and unrelated, because we tend to get compartmentalized in our thinking. I think they might all be connected somehow.

Firstly, I am aware of the idea, as put forth in this video by Nathan Roberts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESv4oW9mU0k&t=24s that the simplest solution to the “four corners” question seems to be that they represent the inside corners of four quadrants of a circle. In other words, the four corners are in the centre, not on the outside somewhere. I myself had pondered this same possibility for a while, but then dismissed it for the follwing reason: When we look at the Hebrew, the word clearly and in all contexts implies the exremities of the earth, not the centre.

Of much more importance though, is to grasp that when Scripture refers to the earth, it refers to the “terra firma”, or the “dry land” as it is called in Genesis; not the sea, and not the whole cosmology.

Earth and seas.jpg
(145.28 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

Gen 1:10  "And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas...". The sea is always mentioned as separate to the earth. In fact, when the Bible refers to the creation, it always mentions it as 3 distinct things: The heavens, the earth, and the sea.

Exo_20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is...
Psa_146:6  Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
Act_4:24  And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is.
Act_14:15  ...preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein.
Rev_5:13  And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
Rev_10:6  And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
Rev_10:8  And the voice which I heard from heaven spake unto me again, and said, Go and take the little book which is open in the hand of the angel which standeth upon the sea and upon the earth. Note the distinction made here...
Rev_14:7  Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Scripture tells us that God founded the earth upon the waters. Therefore, when the Bible refers to the four corners of the earth, it indisputably refers to the landmass, not to the whole cosmological creation. This implies that the Bible talks in terms of the landmass having four corners.

I realize this presents us with more mind warping concepts to absorb, but still, this seems to be where honest research is leading. I have therefore drawn some preliminary conclusions, regarding "the four corners", which I need to test through Scripture.

The prophecies speaking about “the four corners of the earth”, as far as I could ascertain, all refer to the future, not the present.
Coupled to this, the book of Jasher designates the four corners of the earth in a pre-Babel dispersion world, ie. before the earth was divided.
It literally says that right after Babel “God dipersed them into the four corners of the earth”. (Jasher 10:2).

So, as far as I could ascertain, the only two contexts in which the Scriptures speak of the “four corners of the earth” are past and future: 1. pre-Babel dispersion, and 2. escathological future prophecy.
I have not found any Scripture mentioning the “four corners of the earth” in the present day context.

There is a clear indication in Genesis that the landmass was originally one: the river that went out from Eden, and parted into four rivers which watered the whole earth. These four rivers are named, and some of these are on totally different continents today – but they were once all connected, and watered from Eden as the source.

Thus, some form of "continental drift" has separated the landmass since creation.

I believe God first brought the scattering of Babel to disperse the people all over the earth, and then divided the earth with waters (the literal meaning of Peleg). This is in fact stated by the book of Jasher: "...and to Eber were born two children, the name of one was Peleg, for in his days the sons of men were divided, and in the latter days, the earth was divided. Jasher 7:19

I believe God did this so that they could not easily re-converge and start another Babel (which they are doing now).
Babel was in direct contradiction to God’s command to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Instead they all converged into a city…sort of happening again today…

Another interesting observation on this topic is that it seems that in the originally created state, the earth's river network originated in Eden, and from there branched, spread, and nourished the whole earth.
In other words it was a life-supplying system, almost like our blood supply vascular system (the red network) that starts at the heart with the aorta, and from there branches into smaller and smaller veins all along its path, and distributes to the whole body.
Today’s rivers work excatly opposite (like the blue vascular network), they collect downflow, and as they flow, more tributaries join up to make a bigger and bigger river, which finally becomes one big river that dumps into the sea.

The “Pangea model” of ''science'' does not represent the original. To make the Pangea puzzle pieces fit together, they had to re-scale some continents (eg. Africa is shrunk by about 40% to make it fit, North America is enlarged etc, they had to remove Cuba and Nicaragua etc). One will only realize this if we start looking at the real surface area of each continent, and then compare to the scale relationship of these as used in the Pangea model. Knowing the agenda, I believe this was done deliberately, so as to distract us from further searching for the truth.

What if….the four cornered earth was the original model, broken up and drifted apart after Babel (Peleg)? And what if…during the events leading into the return of Christ, and His millenial reign, at the great shaking of the heavens and the earth, He returns it to this configuration?

My request to you is this:

Would you be willing to Biblically investigate and, if possible, criticize the following concept…

God created the landmass (the earth) with four corners. In other words all the landmass was one, but it was “four cornered” instead of the common Pangea picture. In other words “a square established inside a circle of water” (This accounts for both the "square" and the "circle" which seems to confuse so many....and just for info; four corners does not necessarily mean perfectly "square", it just implies that there were, and will be again, four corners.)

Circumstantial things that seem to support this theory are:

• There is going to be a future “great shaking”, gerater than any before, that appears to be set to re-model the surface of the earth once again – every valley shall be exalted, every mountain brought low, the seas in turmoil and roaring, mountains removing and falling inot the sea…etc.
• Just about everything in this world as we know it will be destroyed…the ships, the technology, everything. The last wars in the Bible are all clothed in terminology describing a return to age-old weaponry – swords, spears, shields, horeses, horsemen etc.
• Could this “bringing together” of the landmass not be so that God can bring his people back from the utmost parts of the earth whence they had been scattered? (the ships will be destroyed, no aircraft available)
• Could this “bringing together” of the landmass not be so that God can put hooks and bring the nations from across the breadth of the earth, to bring them together to judgment?
• Could this “bringing together” of the landmass not be so that God can “undo the curse” and “undo Babel” for the millenial reign of Christ?
• The curse, and Babel, were the reasons for the flood and the dividing of the earth.

The Scriptures seem to allude to this: Psalm 104:30 says: “…thou renewest the face of the earth.”
The Septuagint says it in the future tense: “…thou shalt renew the face of the earth.”

Is the “pangea” model offered by science not the perfect decoy to distract us from ever searching for the true picture? To give us “a red herring” to chase, in the event that we discover the truth about the dividing of the earth?

Before we conclude that putting the continents and islands together cannot re-construct a foursquare to scale, let us not forget that the present day landmasses at the Antarctic had most likely also been dispersed to that region when the earth was divided; in other words these landmasses migrated outwards to the edge of the firmament, which forms an enclosing barrier. Later still, after Monte’s map (below), they became encrusted in ice. I find no Scriptural evidence that there had been original landmass at the circle where the firmament was embedded.

If we look at Monte’s 1587 map it is quite interesting that the central landmass areas that lack more landmass (top north region of map), seem to have more landmass at the northern edge of the circle…in other words, more landmass drifted outwards to the “edge” than in other areas.
I wonder what we would get if we could "drift" and manoeuver all that back together?

Thus far, my thoughts on "the four corners".

To me it appears as if the firmament is akin to an "upside down fish bowl" placed on water - Prov 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth. Some landmasses drifted further than others, and ended up here, and constitutes what we today call Antarctica.

He prepared the heavens when He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep...

Scripture does not mention land supporting the firmament; it is established on water. An upside down fishbowl settled on water would impress a circle to a certain depth in the water, and would also account for our atmospheric air pressure underneath the dome.

There may be pillars or foundations to stabilize this dome, but in essence it is placed on/in water, much like a floating dock or jetty – it floats but is kept in place.

Other reliable translations support the KJV:

Geneva Bible: When hee prepared the heauens, I was there, when he set the compasse vpon the deepe.

Dutch Staten Bible: (translated and used following the reformation): Toen Hij de hemelen bereidde, was Ik daar; toen Hij een cirkel over het vlakke des afgronds beschreef;
This translates literally as follows: “…when He inscribed a circle on the face of the abyss” (I can read Dutch)

Afrikaans Bible: Toe Hy die hemele berei het, was ek daar; toe Hy ‘n kring afgetrek het op die oppervlakte van die wêreldvloed;
This translates literally as follows: “…when He inscribed a ring on the surface of the flood” (Afrikaans is my native language)

More supporting Scriptures:

Psa 104:2-3 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain: Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind:

Deut 5:8 Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:

The Septuagint confirms this as correct: Thou shalt not make to thyself an image, nor likeness of any thing, whatever things are in the heaven above, and whatever are in the earth beneath, and whatever are in the waters under the earth.

This seems to directly correspond to God telling them they may not make images of, nor worship:
a. the host of heaven,
b. the entities “in the earth” (angels in prison, Tartarus),
c. the entities in the abyss (the deep, the bottomless).

Secondly, it clearly indicates that the earth (landmass) is founded upon water, and that there are “waters beneath”.

Psa 136:6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy endureth for ever.
The Septuagint makes it even more clear: “To him who established the earth on the waters; for his mercy endures for ever.”

Even this new Testament Scripture then makes perfect sense: 2Pet 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water …just like an iceberg stands out of the water and in the water.

In essence, God founded everything in the waters, the earth also.

There are waters underneath the earth, ie the earth is founded upon water. I do not claim to know how this works, but again, probably something like floating docks. Anchored, but floating. Like icebergs, solid very deep down below the surface, yet floating. The image we have of the earth being all solid, with just some depressions filled in with water (seas), is also what we got from the “science guys”, not from the Bible. The Biblical picture would also make “continental drift” a much more plausible concept.
Obviously landmasses are not like “rafts” just floating lightly; I guess they are more like “icebergs”...there is much more beneath the surface than above, and a shoreline and continental shelf are all still part thereof, and it has great depth beneath the surface level. Thus accounts of land below the surface between some landmasses are completely true (eg. the Red sea crossing). But there are “bottomless” places, according to both the Bible and the book of Enoch. It is interesting that areas of the great deep sea are called “abyssal plains” or “abyssal trenches”. Who has seen whether there is in fact a bottom at the Mariana Trench? One man in history, Auguste Piccard, claims to have been there. Many more claim to have walked on the moon….

According to Wikipedia: The abyssal zone or abyssopelagic zone is a layer of the pelagic zone of the ocean. "Abyss" derives from the Greek word ἄβυσσος (abussos), meaning bottomless.

Joe Imbriano has a video in which he states that the tides we experience are due to this slow rythmic undulation of the abyssal waters and fountains of the deep, as opposed to the “pull of the moon” story, which we know is nonsense. Here is the video link, the specifics are from the 8 minute mark onwards:

Who really knows what is in the great deep?

The science sceptics will say “oh, but ships have echo sounders and sonar, they can see what is down there”. Really, can they? Why then can a submarine hide under a thermocline, much shallower than this, and be undetected by sonar?

(A thermocline is a level that separates denser, colder water lower down, from lighter, warmer water above. It forms a barrier that reflects sonar, it does not penetrate through.)

Submarines even at times experience resistance going through this barrier, because the lower water is often more dense and saline, affording more flotation. This barrier displays on sonar as a “false sea bottom” beneath which submarines can hide from detection. In the very deep sea a ship may well register a “sea bottom” on its sonar, but it could be a “false bottom”, the separation between different densities and salinities of water. Is it not curious coincidence that the “deep sea bottom” is called the “abyssal plains”? Why a plain? Because it is an extremely uniform level and uninterrupted “flatness” almost like a lake …more like what you would expect from a thermocline layer, than from solid ground. “Abyss”, of course, literally means “bottomless”. How dense is the water really deep down? Maybe dense enough to float the soil and rock landmasses called the earth?
This seems to be the case….check out this video:

Yet again, just about all available "knowledge" of what goes on deep down, is what we have been spoon-fed by “science”. We have already firmly established that they have lied to us about everything... about the origins, about life, about the cosmology; shall we take their word for what’s in the deep? If they can fake "creation" (big bang), if they can fake "life" (evolution), if they can fake "the globe", if they can fake the "south pole", if they can fake "outer space"; surely they can fake "the deep"...and more.

A very, very interesting source unknowingly confirms all of the biblical account of the earth being founded upon water…

Dr Stephan Riess, a Swiss geophysicist and mining expert has spent a large part of his life documenting and explaining what he called “primary water”. This knowledge is of course being suppressed from high levels. This is pure fresh water that comes from deep beneath the earth, and not at all part of the normal surface water cycle, which is being cited by modern science as the earth’s very limited, diminishing, and only source of fresh water. Dr Riess emphatically proved that there is a limitless supply of fresh water deep below the earth (he believed it was under the “mantle”, because he did not question the globe concept). During his lifetime he pointed out and drilled 72 boreholes, of which 70 are producing an unlimited supply of primary water. His understanding of this concept, and his geological knowledge, enabled him to achieve this astonishingly high success rate in correctly analyzing and identifying where he would find primary water. Here is a link to an interview with him, shortly before his death in 1985. It is worth listening to:

Most of these unlimited water sources are under government control – Dr Riess drilled wells for, amongst others, the governments of Israel, Saudi Arabia, and many others. We have been lied to, and just as food scarcity is a contrived business in this world, so is water scarcity. It is a population control medium. When the limitless resource of primary water is unknown, and geoengineering and weather control can be used to ration the availability of surface water, the whole world can be controlled.

Some of the clearest examples of primary water coming to the surface from deep down, is found in the “tepui’s” of South America. These are flat topped mounts that rise thousands of feet above the rainforest floor, and from most of these there are perpetual waterfalls pouring from the very tops of these mountains. Angel falls, the highest waterfall in the world, drops from the top of such a Tepui. The water literally rises inside the mountain from deep below, and wells up to its surface, and then cascades off it. The permeable geological structure inside the mountain allows water under pressure from beneath the earth to rise to the surface. Of course the mainstream science says it is the high rainfall that causes this perpetual water on the mountaintop…but there is more than one problem with their narrative, the most obvious of which is that some of these water sources are hot springs – it is not rain water. Below are some pictures of Mount Roraima, one of the most famous of these Tepui’s. I challenge anybody to explain to me how rainfall could account for multiple perpetual waterfalls from the highest point of a mountaintop.

Mt Roraima

Hot springs on the top of Mt Roraima called “Jacuzzi’s” by the locals. The hot water wells up from deep down, and runs off as a river.

Of course high rainfall does account for some of the runoff, but that is not the primary source. The amount of rainwater joining this runoff may vary, and thus seasonal fluctuations in the flow may occur, but it always has a primary source that does not run out.

Any large area which has a lot of water often induces rainfall; it can even create its own rain clouds due to the high humidity rising from it. We see this phenomenon often when heavy rain clouds pass over a lake.. the rising humidity above the body of water joins the water vapour in the cloud, and saturates it to the point of precipitation, and so the rain falls on the lake. The water is not there because it often rains on the lake surface; rather, it often rains on the lake surface because of the lake being there. In like manner the apostles of “science” have conned us about primary water, by putting the cart before the horse… they claim Mt Roraima has so much water on top because it rains every day. The truth is the rather the opposite; rainfall on the mountain is greatly enhanced, because Mt Roraima has so much water on top. The rising moisture saturates and condenses any cloudmass that passes overhead.

You can further do research on “Primary water” here… http://www.primarywaterinstitute.org/

These sources are secular, and have a globe interpretation, thus, what we know to be waters under the earth, they interpret as being waters under the “mantle”. Nevertheless, there is a lot to be gleaned from their information besides this.
Robot Kontroler

Re: Where are "the four corners of the earth"?

Post by Robot Kontroler »

This is extremely intriguing, Paul. You put an incedible amount of work into this post. I very much appreciate it! Lots to consider...
“My being longs for You in the night, also, my spirit within me seeks You earnestly. For when Your right-rulings are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world shall learn righteousness.”
‭‭Yeshayah (Isaiah)‬ ‭26:9‬ ‭TS2009‬‬