Science Interprets Scripture

NASA deceit, Quantum witchcraft, key figures through the centuries and more

Moderators: Paul Zietsman, DaveyT

DaveyT
Site Admin

Science Interprets Scripture

Post by DaveyT »

Sola Scriptura (The Scriptures Alone)

That is a phrase the reformed church uses to characterize it's principle regarding the God-breathed holy Scriptures.
They also believe, or should I say, THEY SAY they believe that Scripture interprets Scripture.

Thank you Noel Hadley for your book, "In The Eternal Gullible, Flat Earth, the Mystery Schools, & the Science Delusion".

His book introduced me to another book called, "A Reformed Approach to Science and Scripture" by Keith Mathison
In this book, as Noel summarizes, "Scripture interprets Scripture (except when science interprets it)" is how the Reformed church has approached the contradictions of science and the Bible.

Noel doesn't make this connection and it could be that he isn't that familiar with Reformed theology's eschatology. R.C. Sproul who many of you may have heard of was one of the leading theologians of the Reformed church in this generation. His views are esteemed very high with regards to many issues of doctrine. Needless to say, he has his opinions too when it comes to Special vs General Revelation. Some of his statements prove that he places the lies of science (general revelation) above the church's past interpretations of the Scriptures (Special Revelation).

I think this book, with all my own markings and side-notes might serve God's cosmology well when I begin to send out copies of the new booklet to the elders of my church and other reformed figures around the country. The book by Mathison is offered as a free epub. I've downloaded it and converted it to pdf (attached) for anyone who would like to read it. It's only forty-seven pages (seven chapters) long so it can be read in less than two hour if you don't do like me and can resist marking it up.

I'm convinced their ability to let science interpret the Scriptures has in large part been due to their A-millennial view of eschatology. They just don't see any advance of Satan's activity in the end times and are more likely to trust and believe what science (NASA) is proclaiming as truth. Of course they want to maintain some degree of respect in the world as well.
Attachments
A_Reformed_Approach_to_Science_and_Scripture.pdf
(500.96 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Paul Zietsman

Re: Science Interprets Scripture

Post by Paul Zietsman »

Let me state at the outset that I believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, the absolute truth, and our highest authority on matters. Therefore anything I believe, or say, must stand in the light of Scripture, or it is false.

I have often considered the question: If God says something; is it relative or absolute? …is it relative to our position, relative to our understanding, relative to the prevalent worldview, or is it absolute?
Is it relative to the limited undertsanding of writers who lived thousands of years ago, or is it the inherent truth for all ages?
If it was relative, then whichever age or belief system we live in, or ascribe to the writers of Scripture; we can interpret to fit the paradigm …we can actually make of it whatever we fancy….
Of course it is absolute …and if that does not fit our understanding, it is because we have a wrong understanding…else we reduce God to someone caught up in relativism, or being incapable of inspiring the written expression of facts or concepts correctly.
Do you truly believe the Word was inspired, or is it just the best way human men of old, with limited understanding, and their cultural background could express themselves?
If you are faced with something in God’s Word that does not fit your undertstanding; do you seek for, or try to formulate, an interpretation of it that fits your worldview, or do you change your wordlview to agree with Scripture?
…Or maybe just let it slip by without further vexation of your mind?...

Winston Chruchill once said: “occasionally men stumble over the truth, but usually they just pick themselves up and hurry on their way as if nothing happened”.

It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. (Mat 4:4)
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction … (2Tim 3:16)
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. (2Pe 1:20-21)

The above clearly signifies that every word out of the mouth of God is important, that all Scripture has been divinely inspired, and that nothing thereof was a matter of private interpretation by the writers (according to their limited undertstanding); they were divinely inspired to write exactly what they wrote.

They “…spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” Not: they spoke as their best understanding permitted them to speak; No! they “spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost”.

As followers of Christ, and His holy Scriptures first, we should thus keep in mind that the Scriptures literally say that the sun rises and goes down, and that it comes out of its "chamber", and runs a circuit from the one end of heaven to the other. When God makes a statement in His inspired Word, it is an absolute, not something relative to our viewpoints. God does not state things as they appear relative to our perceptions; He states the real truth. Thus no model that has the sun just circulating will ever answer all the requirements, regardless even of perspective and atmosphere, which add a lot of necessary value to any modelling. A model true to the Scriptures should incorporate the "gates of heaven" (portals in the firmament) in the East and the West, and the sun exiting its "chamber" and entering at the East, rising, running its circuit, and going down, exiting at the West, and hasting to its return again. This is what nobody has attempted yet, and I do not know how to begin constructing such a model, because there are too many unknowns. Our best models are all guesswork, but that does not mean we should not attempt models. I think each attempt fills in some parts of the picture, like these videos above definitely do.

I think as brothers in Christ our approach to modelling should be testing it against the Scriptures first, instead of merely trying to construct something that fits our observations (perspectives and viewpoints), which is the way the secular FE crowd is approaching the subject.

If we are not in agreement on this we cannot further continue to reason about Biblical matters, because we will be reasoning from two different foundations: one based on the statements of scripture; the other based on worldview, the claims of so called science, or the statements of “churchianity”.

“Let God be true, but every man a liar…”

“…because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved…for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie” (2Th 2:10, 11)

A word of caution:

The Bible explicitly tells us when it is speaking in terms of parables or dreams, which are of course allegorical comparisons, metaphors and descriptions to demonstrate principles or concepts. These are clearly not literal absolutes. Even in this instance, however, we must remember that God, who created all things, yes even the things that He uses as metaphors, has created them suited to the purpose of His Word. Thus these are still the most perfectly fitting metaphors, and not simply a “grabbing of the first thing that comes to mind”…

Biblical metaphors are therefore perfectly suited, but not necessarily exhaustive: Eg, Jesus uses numerous metaphors complimentary to one another when He discribes the coming kingdom of Heaven… it is like a sower who sowed seed which fell in different places…it is like a man who received a kingdom and went away on a long journey…it is like wheat and tares…it is like a man who planted a vineyard and let it out…it is like ten virgins and a bridegroom…and many more. Each metaphor is perfect, but inadequate by itself.

Note that the Bible says it is “like”… in other words it tells us that this is comparative description, and not the real thing. The same with dreams…dreams have been used to signify something, but they were not literal, they required correct interpretation to be understood..eg. Nebuchadnezzar’s dream, which only Daniël could interpret, or Pharao’s dream which only Joseph could interpret…there were not seven literal cows that ate seven other cows…it was an allegorical dream that needed divinely inspired interpretation. These were not literal events, but they signified and demonstrated literal events.

So when the Bible tells us something, it is meant to be accepted as literal fact, unless the Bible clearly indicates that it is a parable, allegory or dream.

What God states in Scripture was divinely inspired, and requires literal interpretation.
When God spoke through dreams, parables or allegories these required divinely inspired interpretation. That’s why Jesus expounded the parables he spoke to those who were His. That’s why God provided inspired interpreters like Daniël or Joseph, when he spoke non-literally, eg. through dreams.

In other words…either the divinely inspired statement is factual, and requires literal interpretation; or when the statement is non-literal, God Himself provides the divinely inspired interpretation. God does not obfuscate His Word, except to those who do not want to hear it. Jesus spoke to the pharisees in parables, but to His disciples He expounded them.
Last edited by Paul Zietsman on January 9th, 2022, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveyT
Site Admin

Post by DaveyT »

Great stuff Paul,

Let God be true, and every man a liar.
Robot Kontroler

Post by Robot Kontroler »

Good job, Paul! I 100% agree!
“My being longs for You in the night, also, my spirit within me seeks You earnestly. For when Your right-rulings are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world shall learn righteousness.”
‭‭Yeshayah (Isaiah)‬ ‭26:9‬ ‭TS2009‬‬